Sunday, November 27, 2011

Remsen and Jockey Club Recap

   Sometimes handicappers think that the pace of a race is slow but we don't really know how hard the horses were really running. The fractions in the Remsen would lead one to believe they were going slow up front but the way the race unfolded might say otherwise. Super Speedy was pressed all the way by Our Entourage into deep stretch. A couple others, especially Speightscity who has good speed, couldn't keep up, which might mean they weren't really going as slow as we might think.
   I have been hoping we might see some speed horses this year that can carry their speed a long way unlike last year when the only front runner that stayed healthy was Shackelford.
   In the case of the Remsen, we are left with 2 possibilities, either the pace was slow or it wasn't. If it wasn't there is the chance that Super Speedy is a good one. This was only his second race and has lots of room to improve on that big jump in distance. He has a beautiful pedigree that should carry him at the longer distances.
   On the other hand, if he was really going that slow, I am impressed by Done Talking who came a long, long way to only get beaten by a length. The winner had a perfect stalking trip and took advantage of Souper Speedy having to finally put Our Entourage away in the stretch. The connections of O'prado Again feel they have a derby horse, which he might be, but I like their other horse Dullahan better for the derby distance.

As for the Jockey Club race, Gemologist can't be faulted because he is undefeated. He has good speed and showed he can also sit back a little and pounce. My problem with him is that Pletcher always has his horses ready early but he usually manages to squeeze the lemon dry by derby time. They are planning to take the same route as they did with Super Saver. I think Pletcher was actually surprised when Super Saver won the derby so I don't put too much stock in his plans. I also don't think Gemologist is bred for the Derby or Belmont distance. Of course that's just my opinion. Ever So Lucky was going to try to wire the field and almost pulled it off but he's another that I don't think can get 1 1/4 miles. He did run a little too quick early and hung in but I think distance will be a factor with him. Timely Tally closed a ton and it's the second time he's been close to Geologist so might be better down the line. Timely Tally is ridden by Borel and he also has the mount on another good closer in Motor City and both are bred to get the distance. I wonder who he likes better?
   As to looking for the speed horse of the year I am impressed with Hansen. I really think if the track wasn't biased in the Breeders Cup he may have won by 10 or more. His breeding also tells me he can run all day but we have got to see what happens when a few of the speedsters meet.

   Now we have got to wait and see what happens this winter down in Fl at GP and Tampa. Don't forget, a lot of  Derby contenders don't break their maiden till this time of year. Should be interesting.

Backstretch

5 comments:

  1. Now do you really know what you are talking about with Gemologist that he may not get the Derby or Belmont distance!!!!! Are you really serious and know what you are talking about. Didn't his sire Tiznow win the Breeders' Cup Classic 2 years in a row at 1 1/4 distance. So that tells me he is breed for the distance. And take a look at the dam side as well with Mr Prospector. He has speed and the pedigree. Which could be scary. So don't count him out. Or don't you just like Tiznow. PLEASE! Do your homework when writing in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I said that was just my opinion...I am entitled to my opinion as are you..the main thrust is what I said about Pletcher...I welcome comments even when they say I don't do my homework..we will revisit this after the Derby.
    Backstretch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have explained a little more...I love Tiznow's pedigree as a runner..just super..I just don't favor mares sired by Mr P but I do like some that are his grand daughters..
    Backstretch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thus a great broodmare-sire like Secretariat might have crucial genes turned on in the offspring of his daughters, while turned off in the offspring of his sons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly...there are certain chromosomes that sires can pass on to daughters but not to sons...there is also what is know as a fallow generation...
    Backstretch

    ReplyDelete