Monday, November 7, 2011

Breeders Cup 2 yr old Recap

   Although my pedigree horses did very well I wasn't overly impressed. Stephanie's Kitten looks to have more potential and should continue her winning ways. Northern Passion was ambitiously placed and should have stayed on the turf where I think she will have some success.
   My Miss Aurelia seems to be a notch above at this point in time but time must be given to others in order to mature.
   My main focus now will be to follow the colts as they sort each other out heading for the Triple Crown. There will be something like 400 horses nominated to the KY Derby and a lot of them haven't even started yet. Of course I like to see them get some racing under their belt so as to build a foundation. We all saw what happens when a horse like Uncle Mo is babied and lacks experience and a sound racing foundation. And let's not get overly impressed with horses like Hansen and Union Rags because there has been only one horse that won the BC and went on to win the KY Derby and that was Street Sense.
   The colt that has impressed me the most is Dullahan. In the BC he was bumped at the start and left about 15 lengths behind. He made a strong move very late and passed 5 horses in the stretch while only beaten 6 lengths. Has a strong pedigree for the classic distances and I feel sure will do better as he is stretched out. Hansen and Union Rags are very nice colts with good pedigrees but I'm not convinced they can get the Derby distance. Hansen does have an edge because of his speed and if you recall this past year there were no real quality colts with speed besides Shackleford and he was not bred for the longer distances.
   I also think there's a lot of upside for Speightscity. He has a really nice pedigree and actually ran well in the BC by chasing Hansen to the stretch. If he learns to rate a little off the pace and matures more he may be one to deal with in the future.
   There were a few excellent pedigrees that didn't show up for the BC. I really like a few foreign ones like Red Duke, Parish Hall and Power. And speaking of power, another US horse I really like is Power World.
   I'm not sure why some of these didn't show up but I will try to keep tabs on them in the future. There are a lot who have only made a start or two and some who will be making a final start by the years end. It should be an interesting winter in FL and the other southern states as the race to the crown starts taking shape.
Backstretch

No comments:

Post a Comment