Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Forums

   In a previous blog I had criticized a particular forum as being very hostile for which I caught a lot of flak from the powers that be. It was said that I had unleashed an undeserved attack upon them.
   I decided to try a little experiment and posted, what I, and according to my e-mails, and others thought was a very innocuous post. The very first thing that happened was that one member, who, judging by his avatar and screen name, fancies himself as some sort of philosopher, immediately accuses me of promoting my services. The thread quickly degenerates into the normal rhubarb and the data and mathematical equations are brought into the mix. Then my blog about the site was brought up and a lot of criticism concerning my handicapping abilities, none of which, had a damned thing to do with my initial post.
   You see, what I had done was to suggest that there were people who were successful bettors, who, although not "Professional Handicappers", make some very lucrative bets. This did not sit very well with them and they basically ridiculed me for suggesting this could be done by those who were not "Pros" and didn't understand that they had to be long term losers. The fact that these bettors only bet on the big race days during the course of the year and happen to make some nice scores without running back the next day to give the money back was lost on them.
   At any rate, I'm kind of tired of the BS and don't wish to waste any more of my time with this. The point I was making, which they proved by their reaction to the post, was that the site is, I won't say totally because I heard from members who don't adhere to those tactics, hostile. As I said in my original blog, if one doesn't conform to their mathematical aspects of the game, that person is to be ridiculed and scorned. As after my first blog, I will now be accused of another attack upon them. Their argument is that I "Rail" against their theories and demean them when I discount many of their methods. There is a way around all this however; all one has to do is become a paid advertiser. Shell out your $400. a month and you become a member of the clique.
   Another point is that for all their expertise, and this was just alluded to by the resident philosopher, no one actually teaches anything there and if they try they are laughed off the board. I had been on another website for some years and did a lot of writing about racing and handicapping. I acquired a lot of friends who still contact me often and thank me for the know- how that I offered to them. I have e-mails form all over the world asking me questions which I gladly answer.
   I am approaching 80 yrs of age and had always thought about giving something back to the game I spent the better part of my life learning. There are those who welcome the advice of some one who has "Been There, Done That" and then there are those who think they know it all and reject anything that goes against their prevailing thoughts.
    So, stayed tuned because I am going to write some posts here, and only here, concerning LOGIC in handicapping. I may only write a post a week about it because I am quite busy with my pedigree work. Even if you don't agree with my blogs I think you will find my articles concerning intent, the errors of track variants and other tidbits interesting.
Backstretch

1 comment:

  1. Backstretch
    I look forward to your advice and knowledge.

    Arnie

    ReplyDelete