Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Tribute To My Internet Friends

A Tribute To My Internet Friends

Yesterday I turned 79 years of age. So far I've had a long and eventful life and done most of the things I've wanted to do. I've traveled a lot and rubbed shoulders with everyone from billionaires to mobsters.

Almost all my old friends are gone now but thanks to the internet I've made some great new ones. I also want to say that I have met some of the nastiest people alive on the internet although I can't believe they could be so rotten in real life. It makes me think that the internet is something like alcohol in that some people are just plain obnoxious drunks and others aren't.

Having said that, I just want to express my appreciation to the people I have met on the net and in particular a couple of guys that are just plain super stand-up guys.

As most of you know I have a little handicapping service and two of these friends are also clients and are wonderful to deal with. They always inquire about my health, which isn't too good these days, and seem to have great faith in my judgement.

One of these friends has been with me for 7-8 yrs now and never goes to the track without my selections for the day. The other is not only a bettor but an owner as well and will buy a horse just on my say so. I can't tell you how good it makes one feel to have someone put their trust in you in a game like horse racing.

They not only reward me with their trust but always take care of me financially. They never bitch or moan when they lose and never lie or short change me in any way. As I said; two really outstanding and stand-up guys who are both successful business men but are quite humble and never arrogant or demeaning. I feel very greatful to have met them and one wish I would have would be to spend some time at the track with all of us together. In my book they are two outstanding individuals who have helped restore my faith in people and I place the highest value possible on their friendship.

There are others I've met online and talk with on the phone and we spend hours talking horses and I also thank them for their friendship and help in keeping my interest alive, otherwise, I would be like many who are retired and become bored and lonely and soon wilt away.

So again, thanks to all my internet friends and I hope we are able to spend many more rewarding years together.

Backstretch

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree. When it comes to developing relationships on the Internet they can go in many directions. They can range anywhere from being very pleasant and constructive to very disturbing and detrimental. As far as I’m concerned an Internet relationship on the surface is very impersonal. That’s not to say people can’t or won’t take it to another level by conversing on the phone or in person.

    I’ve also had the good fortune to carry on some great bantering on-line with some very savvy players each of whom have their own unique approach. In some cases this has lead to going beyond the “keyboard”. Such is the case with Backstretch. We’ve known each other for quite a number of years, and it all got started on the Net. We have since carried on many a telephone conversation on every imaginable topic, but mostly about the many aspects of our game. It’s been my pleasurable experience to discuss these things with him and at the same time get to know him better. I can say unequivocally that his knowledge and dedication to horseracing mirrors my own in many respects. He’s got a few years on me, but from a horseplayer’s perspective you can never get enough information both new and old. I hope that someday he decides to write that book.

    All I can say to all those reading his ongoing Blog and weekly newsletter is: Take it to heart friends, because whether its an opinion about a race or some handicapping method, he tells it like it is!!
    Regards
    Slick/aka ToteMaster
    www.ebettorsedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Slick...The last time I was to the track was when we went to MTH... lots a fun...hope we can do it again..

      Delete