Monday, January 9, 2012

Pedigree Experts

   I really have to laugh when I read some comments on horse forums concerning pedigrees. As soon as the latest little prep race is run everyone has spotted the derby winner.
   I like when they say," Oh, he's by so and so and should run all day." Or, "He's by so and so who never got beyond 8f so will never get the derby distance". As soon as I see these comments I know that the one making it doesn't know a chromosome from a frog egg.
   The idea that one horse in a pedigree decides how good the pedigree might be is ludicrous. The way some people look at a pedigree reminds me of someone looking at a map to find how to get to a destination but they don't even know where they are to begin with. 
   Even the very best of breeders and pedigree consultants know that breeding is one huge crap shoot, so to make statements that because a horse is by a particular stallion or there is a certain sire somewhere in the blood, the quality of the horse is therefore decided, only serves to put their ignorance on display.


   I will have some upcoming articles in my newsletter about breeding, such as:
Broodmares and Copper
Breeding Sprinters With Stayers
Breeding from unraced horses, and other articles I may come up with.




Backstretch 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment