Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Patience Pays

   Of all the failures of horse players, lack of patience must be at the top of the list. Most bettors act like today is the last day racing will ever be held.
   How many players can go to the track and play their best bet in the first race and, win or lose, turn around and go home. If you can't do that your going to be forever a loser.
   I have many clients that come and go. When they make a score they start betting every race at every track on the map. They soon go broke and inform me that they have to take some time off. They build a little bankroll and come back to my service and then go through the whole process again.
   On the other hand, I have clients that have been with me for years and they have patience and know how to manage their money. The winning players know that days may go by without my having a play. They also know that losing streaks are a part of every one's game. The ones with patience to wait for a play know that, despite the losing streaks, the winners will come.
   Whether a player is handicapping themselves or subscribing to a service like mine, they must develop the patience to wait for good plays. Of course I'm not talking about handicappers that use computer programs and bet a jillion races and hope to catch a big enough percentage of winners to turn a profit.
   I am a spot player and I know there are other spot players out there but I believe we are a minority. I like the idea of a couple plays a day on average. Days with no plays are welcomed by me because there is a life without horses. I tried sitting all day and playing race after race and it doesn't take long to become jaded. I like the idea of a couple of bets a day and having the rest of the day to do as I please.
   Even when spot playing, the PPs have to be looked at every day to determine if there are any plays to be had. After a lot of years this relatively short time can become a drag and when that happens you start to lose interest and begin to get sloppy. When that happens I shorten the week and only play 3 or 4 days.
   When one operates in this manner it becomes second nature to develop patience. When you skip days you realize that the races are still there the next day. Unless your a degenerate gambler, you will welcome the breaks in the action and make better choices in your betting.
   I am glad to answer questions or discuss handicapping. Just leave a comment or you may e-mail me and I answer all.    backstretch33@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment