Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Derby Pedigrees

   There are roughly 400 horses nominated to the derby. There will only be 20 that make it to the race so that means 95% will fall by the wayside.
   How can we begin to pick a derby horse now? I know that there are a lot of racing fans that like to enter contests or to place a bet in the future book.
   There are horses right now that are way under the radar but may make their presence felt later on. There are a few foreign horses that may or may not decide to enter the race.
   I am going to post my pedigree picks but this is being done without seeing most of their race records. As the preps move down the road we'll have a better idea as to who has ability and who doesn't.
   Reading pedigrees is very tedious and complex work. There are those on the web that have programs that give all kinds of pedigree stats. I do it manually so it takes me forever. There are however, indications in pedigrees that most pay no attention to. All I ever hear talked about is the sire and what the sire did, or how far the sire could run. The important thing to know is; can the sire pass his ability on to his offspring. I don't want to dwell on what I do because your probably only interested in the horses themselves.
   In this post I am listing a group that I feel the derby winner has a 60% chance of being one of this group. I say this because 7 of the last 11 derby winners had very similar pedigrees.
   I will be listing other contenders in the coming weeks but there's much work to be done. As I said, I don't how many of these will actually even make it to the races although I know some have run and won but I have no details as yet.

Listed in Alphabetical order:

Air Support                                             Metropolitan Man
Archarcharch                                           Never Right Joey
Arresting Officer                                      Pathfork
                                                               Rogue Romance
                                                               Shadow Warrier
                                                               Silverleo
                                                               Smash
                                                               Stay Thirsty Biondetti                                                  Travelin Man
Blue Right By                                           Utley
Buffalo Storm                                           Voodoo Storm
Casamento (Ire.)                                       Wegner
Clubhouse Ride                                        Why Pretend
Flashpoint                                                 Wilburn
Fredrik The Great                                      Willcox Inn
Gallant Dreams                                          Wine Police
Highest Regards                                         Zoffany (Ire.)
Industry Leader                                        
Joe Vann
Lauburu
Master Of Hounds
There are some more that belong on this list and I will update as soon as I find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment