Sunday, February 15, 2015

2015 Derby Pedigrees



These are my early Derby contenders rated by pedigree. Some of these may not perform up to their potential until they reach the longer distances because their pedigrees suggest that they should excel at the longer distances of the Triple Crown races. A lot of horses can get as much as 9f  but it takes special horses to go beyond that. Actually, just about any horse can go 1 1/2 miles, but how fast? What I'm talking about are horses that can go the longer distances at a high rate of speed.

I kind of grade my pedigrees and use a couple of categories to show that, even though they all have classic pedigrees, some are better than others in my opinion. With over 400 horses nominated to the Derby I have only rated the ones that have shown some talent but I'm sure there may be others that will show up.

Tier 1 has the pedigrees I like best for the classic distances. In alphabetical order;

Bolo...will probably stick to turf races.
Dortmund
Far Right
International Star
Khozan

Tier 2;
Carpe Diem
Competitive Edge
Itsaknockout
War Story

Tier 3;
Frosted
J S Bach
Upstart

I also look for out crossed horses that can turn out to be really good if the cross takes. A good example was Animal Kingdom who I liked in the Derby and turned into a world class horse.
A couple of interesting crosses this year are Mr Z and Tiznow R J and I am watching them closely.
I will update the list as the season progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment