Friday, October 14, 2011

Mine That Bird, a Fluke?

   When Mine That Bird won the KY Derby almost everyone thought it was some kind of fluke. I however, didn't really think so. There were 6 horses in that derby that I had on my pedigree list and of the first 6 to cross the finish line, 5 were my pedigree horses, including MTB.
   You may be wondering why I mention this at this time but I just want to point out how it's relevant now. In my previous post I had listed 5 horses that I liked their pedigree for the BC Fut. at KEE. One of these was a maiden named Dullahan who is a 1/2 brother to MTB. Actually, the way I look at pedigrees makes him closer to being a full brother. I guess you know that Dullahan won @17/1 and beat a pretty deep field. He caught the chalk who is a horse that I feel certainly has distance limitations.
   Judging from his breeding I think Dullahan will again be heard from, especially as the distances get longer on the Triple Crown Trail. I'm not stating that he's about to win the derby but I think he may be a contender along the way.
   His performance, IMO, validates just how good MTB was. Don't forget, he was the 2 yr old champ of Canada before he won the Derby and was 2nd and 3rd in the Preakness and Belmont. Doesn't sound like a fluke to me.
   This is the beauty of knowing how to judge the classical qualities of young horses by their pedigree. You never know what kind of odds you might get with horses that are really bred to go the distance of the classic races and have been getting beat in the shorter races where all it takes is sharp form to win.
   I'm looking forward to the TC races this winter and spring because it's a lot of fun to follow and also might be very profitable.
Next up, the Breeders Cup.
Backstretch

No comments:

Post a Comment